[pypy-dev] clarification of "46638 made Stackless to crash."

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Sep 16 19:57:27 CEST 2007

Christian Tismer wrote:

> I'm not convinced. What I did yesterday was a completely new
> check-out, and I could binary search to 46638 in a repeatable way.
>
> I will try again now with cache clearing - no, ATM I even don't
> have a _cache.
>
> Ok, the result is the same.
> Exactly this change to pypy/tool/cache.py causes the errors.
> After the change, the threading module can no longer import thread,
> as like the stackless module no longer can import greenlet.

This was actually a bad combination of errors and misunderstandings.

The import problem was really caused by rev. 46638.

The rest of the mess was my fault:
My check-in from short before PyCon UK had a small glitch, and
although it fixed pickling (modulo a bus error which is still sought),
it made the tests in app_test/test_stackless fail completely.

I was blind to this error, because things worked in compiled pypy-c
and with my local cpython. I was not aware that I had changed
the default interpreter during the conference to real stackless.
This way, the buggy code that I checked in before was never executed,
so I did not expect anything to be wrong.

I felt innocent but I was guilty.
Armin, please take by apologies.

mixing too many stacklesses is probably a bad idea.

sincerely -- chris