[pypy-dev] pypy with sympy

Adam Olsen rhamph at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 22:03:03 CEST 2007

> 4) Myabe allow to speed my code up (JIT), or make Python as fast as
> possible. But this is rather a long term goal. Generally, I don't see
> why my code written in C and the same code written in Python, not
> using much dynamic features, couldn't be the same fast. (Of course I
> understand why now it is slower, Python is interpreted, etc. But I
> mean in principle. Python can have as much information about my code
> as the C compiler.) I use Python for devising new numerical
> algorithms, and than I need to rewrite them by hand to fortran for
> speed. It's a pain.

> 6) Allow efficient threading? CPython has the GIL (for good
> technological reasons). Generally pypy can improve how to do things in
> parallel in python. Currently, one needs to use pympi, pypar, or
> something.

These two together are, in my mind, where PyPy can really shine.
Performance on par with CPython is critical to be taken seriously, but
CPython's difficulties with the GIL mean I can only make it scalable
at about 60% to 65% of the traditional efficiency (on pystones at
least).  That gap gives PyPy enough room to surpass CPython on
scalable performance.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus