[pypy-dev] pypy with sympy

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Sep 17 18:23:30 CEST 2007

Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

> We are confident that we can surpass CPython's speed with the help of
> the JIT. As for free threading, the big prerequisite for that is a GC
> that plays well with threads. Boehm is not very good in this respect.
> After this is done we can think about how to insert locking operations
> in an automatic way to reduce the likelyhood of errors (this is
> currently already done for releasing the GIL around external function
> calls). Then there will probably be a huge amount of painful debugging :-)

I'm actually no longer convinced that it makes soo much sense to get
rid of the GIL. Python's data model is not made for free threading.

Have you had a look into http://www.parallelpython.com/ ?

Might be a starting point into threads with disjoint interpreters
and some locking just for data exchange.

cheers - chris