[pypy-dev] What parts of the sys modules does PyPy implement?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Apr 9 16:49:54 CEST 2008

Hi Brett,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 03:51:58PM -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:
> A discussion of what parts of the sys module various VMs should be
> expected to implement has come up on python-dev. I am hoping someone
> here can let me know what PyPy currently implements.

PyPy implements the attributes that existed in 2.4 already.  We haven't
decided anything about the newer attributes but I guess they will be
added as we upgrade.  Here is the justification for the few 2.4
attributes that are missing (mentioned by Bruno) and the post-2.4
attributes that maybe we will not implement when we upgrade.

>  - exec_prefix and prefix

These ones are stubs at the moment.  We haven't thought much about what
they should contain and how to install PyPy's standard library in a way
that applications like distutils will find it.

>  - getfilesystemencoding

No support for file system encoding yet.

>  - getwindowsversion
>  - winver
>  - dllhandle

Not much support for Windows-specific features.  Should probably be
improved over time.

>  - getrefcount

Makes only sense in CPython.

>  - get/setdlopenflags
>  - api_version

No support for loading separately-compiled extension modules in PyPy so
far.

>  - settscdumps
>  - callstats

I think these are ways to access internal performance counters of
ceval.c.

>  - _compact_freelists
>  - _clear_type_cache

Looks very much like internal details of CPython.

A bientot,