[pypy-dev] works in python2.4, fails in pypy

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Mon Aug 25 23:29:03 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Do you have any plans for supporting writing C extensions to pypy?
>> Because as you can see above, the speed is imho only possible when
>> writing it in C. Well, if RPython could produce as optimized code as
>> Cython, then it could be an option. Any ideas on that?
>>

>> Ondrej
>>

> There are no immediate plans for supporting C extensions to pypy
> besides via ctypes or rpython. RPython is fairly fast these days, try
> it out if you like (big fat warning, rpython is an obscure language).
> Also usecases like sympy one should see relatively good speedups via
> JIT. Did you try using psyco?

Psyco gives pretty good results (but not as good as Cython), but as I
understood, it is not developed anymore as I thought pypy is the way
to go.

Yes, Cython is also a new language basically, but it's very easy to
learn and easy to debug, easy to compile and one is able to blend C
and Python very easily and naturally, so it's my choice. But on the
other hand, I really think that one should just write what he wants in
Python, maybe give it couple hints and pypy (or anything else) should
be clever enough to optimize it.
Cython is not perfect, but one can get C level speed now. They plan to
allow a pure python syntax, so that the same code actually also runs
in Python.

But anyway, pypy has my thumbs up. 3x slower than CPython is not
*that* bad, so imho if you could release, it'd be awesome.

Ondrej