[pypy-dev] real-time gc ?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Feb 4 11:58:12 CET 2008

Hi Simon,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:06:22AM -0800, Simon Burton wrote:
> I've taken some statistics on how the boehm gc performs with our current application,
> it has terrible worst case performance, often stopping for hundreds of mS at a time.

What is the context?  It's unclear to me if you're talking about PyPy
the Python interpreter, another stand-alone RPython program, or a
CPython extension module translated from RPython.

In all cases but the latter you should definitely try our own GCs
instead of Boehm.  The generational GC in particular, while not
real-time in any sense of the word, is probably the one with the least
amount of long pauses - most collections are very quick.

A bientot,

Armin