[pypy-dev] [pypy-sprint] AVM2 / Tamarin backend at the sprint

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:54:18 CET 2008

>> Flash, the recent version 9 release
>> introduced:
>>
>> * A new virtual machine (AVM2)
>> * With JITter compilation
>> * Support for prototype and class-based ECMAscript styles (should be
>> suitable as Python target)
>> * Dynamic bytecode generation _and loading_ is possible (should be
>> handy)
>> * ActionScript 3/ECMAScript has strong typing and other more mature
>> language features

Also the latest version does a form of cache of libs, so in the future
you go to a site with a pypy interpreter and then go to another one
you download pypy only once if the library was corretly built.

>> FYI:
>> * Bytecode is called Actionscript Byte Code (ABC)
>> * Another language (HaXe) has already targeted this VM successfully.

Is there any assembler for ABC? maybe haxe has one (do they target
avm2? I always thought it was only the old flash vm).

>> With such a 'Flython' interpreter I would hope in time to be able to
>> bind to Adobe's native and library classes and hence by able to :
>>
>> * Compile swf files from Python (for Flash) source
>> * Build Flex apps (Adobe's GUI framework)
>> * Target AIR (Flash desktop apps)

I think this is a good idea, probably avm2 can run at least RPython
and maybe this could be the idea, just like the javascript backend.
This could be quite easier than supporting full python and pypy
interpreter.

(I don't know if you have read any docs on the pypy site, but RPyton
is the restricted python in wich the pypy interpreter is made on,
suporting only it on avm2 would make programing for flex fun).

[]'s
--
Leonardo Santagada