[pypy-dev] [pypy-sprint] AVM2 / Tamarin backend at the sprint

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 00:29:18 CET 2008

Hi Toby,

Toby Watson wrote:

> I'm busy reading them now. I started with the recent some of the
> Google presentation and am now looking at http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/cli-backend.html
>   and Antonio Cuni's thesis on the CLI backend. I'll happily look at
> any other recommendations.

I was just writing you a mail pointing to that documents, but I see you
already found them :-).

Be warn that my thesis is a bit outdated, because a lot of things have
been improved since then. In particular, we added a new backend for the
JVM which shares most of the code with the CLI backend; the good news is
that almost certainly such code can be reused also for a new tamarin
backend, meaning that writing it would be much easier than what was
writing gencli and genjvm.

If you want to look at the source, the backend independent code is
located in translator/oosupport/; each of the files there contains
classes that are subclassed by the code in translator/{cli,jvm}.

Feel free to ask questions either here or on #pypy, I'll be glad to answer.

ciao Anto