[pypy-dev] Zope2-RPython implementation help wanted..

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 00:22:11 CEST 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> * try to patch up RestrictedPython by closing any new Python 2.5
>>> related holes. This would require figuring out what these are.
>> This has been "the plan", it has, unfortunately, met prettymuch universal
>> derision from the PyPy guys and silence from Jim :-(
>
> Well, the PyPy people aren't familiar with this code base. It's been
> proven enough technology for the last 8 years or so, so I suspect this
> plan is at least feasible, if hardly perfect.

Well, I dunno. Part of me is trying to get to the bottom of why the PyPy
guys hate RestrictedPython so much. It seems a robust way of providing a
secured (as opposed to sandboxed) pthon environment and while it
requires work when the AST changes, I've yet to see someone suggest a
suitable alternative, as this discussion has kindof showed ;-)

>> It's a shame we can't form a better "blood/brain barrier" that proxies on
>> the way in and de-proxies on the way out...
>
> Uh, Chris, that was exactly what I was talking about. You could do so,
> but you'd need to alter the way proxies work.

I'm not sure where you could generically plug in the un-proxying code...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk