[pypy-dev] Zope2-RPython implementation help wanted..

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Tue Jul 29 10:29:11 CEST 2008

Hi Martijn, Chris,

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:09 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM, holger krekel <holger at merlinux.eu> wrote:
> [description of how this might work]
>
> Cool, thanks for the description.

you are welcome!

> Just for context, the Python 2.5 porting project is happening this
> summer as part of the google summer of code. We're talking about a
> timeline of weeks here. We're also talking about an important feature
> used by *many* for the last 7 or 8 years or so in a stable release of
> Zope 2. There's lots of code floating around that uses this feature.
> The new code would need to run on the platforms that Zope 2 runs on.
>
> If I were to write a new version of sandboxed Python in a new
> framework, this sounds potentially useful. I know Chris is interested
> in such technology aside from the interest from the Zope 2
> perspective. But from the current Zope 2 perspective, this looks like
> a rather long-term development path with a lot of bugs to work out.

Indeed, what i described is not likely to come to happen in the next weeks.

> The pay-off would be a more secure version of Python Script in Zope 2
> that is hopefully more easy to port to new Python versions. That would
> be nice, but the risks involved in this project are also rather huge,
> and unfortunately I don't think the pay-off is huge enough to warrant
> a lot of investment in time by (rare) Zope 2 hackers. I'd be happy if
> one of them proved me wrong, but it doesn't seem to be a good idea to
> let the new Python 2.5 compatible version of Zope 2 be dependent on
> unfinished PyPy technology....

Makes sense to me as it stands.

I am sure that when the time comes we'll find good use uses
for a robust virtualized embeddable Python Interpreter.
Having people or parties already asking for it (or better yet,
investing into it :-) would certainly accelerate it.

cheers,

holger

--
collaborative expert contracting: http://merlinux.eu