[pypy-dev] Zope2-RPython implementation help wanted..

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Jul 30 09:32:52 CEST 2008

Hi Chris,

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:22:11PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> Well, I dunno. Part of me is trying to get to the bottom of why the PyPy
> guys hate RestrictedPython so much.

Sorry to have given this impression so much.  I can only speak for
myself: "hating" is a bit too strong; genereally speaking I have little
interest for the "syntactic" side of programming language or language
feature implementations (like AST restrictions or manipulations), and I
am more interested in solutions that work at the "semantic" level, i.e.
at the level of the behavior of objects (like Zope's security proxies,
PyPy's various object spaces, and (at a lower level) PyPy's sandboxing).

If I have real critics about RestrictedPython it's that it's not Python
at all - it's a seriously limited sublanguage.  Now I'm sure there are
use cases for such a thing, and unlike Python's dead rexec, I can
imagine that it can be made safe with enough care.  Personally I have
not much interested in that (but nothing against people that do).  Sorry
for the over-reaction.

A bientot,

Armin.