[pypy-dev] Zope2-RPython implementation help wanted..

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 17:15:02 CEST 2008

Armin Rigo wrote:
> feature implementations (like AST restrictions or manipulations), and I
> am more interested in solutions that work at the "semantic" level, i.e.
> at the level of the behavior of objects (like Zope's security proxies,
> PyPy's various object spaces, and (at a lower level) PyPy's sandboxing).

Well, this is good to hear :-)

> If I have real critics about RestrictedPython it's that it's not Python
> at all - it's a seriously limited sublanguage.

I wonder how much of this is based on the problem I set in Vilnius?
Because of the rough edges of RestrictedPython and the limited resources
I had to get the challenge ready, I think the actual problem I set was a
lot harder than I meant. Maciej was showing me that in the environment I
specified, you couldn't even interate over a tuple of integers :-/

 > Now I'm sure there are
> use cases for such a thing,

In it's normal environment, the use case for Restricted Python is huge:

- you don't need to create classes as you get all the objects you could
want to manipulate from the result of the Zope environment

- it's *really nice* having an environment where you can write python
but where all the security checks are done for you without having to do
explicit checks:

 >>> x.a
Unauthorized: You are not allowed to access 'a'.

- it would be *really really nice* if such an environment prevented you
chewing through excess memory and processing power, which
RestrictedPython certainly doesn't offer...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk