[pypy-dev] Benchmarking django admin app

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Jun 22 12:12:18 CEST 2008

Hi Maciej,

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 08:24:40PM +0200, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
> application. Anyway, it seems that our ctypes is huge problem there,
> calling of ctypes functions eats 20% of time overall (which is fairly
> a lot for 1-value table).

Spending 20% of the time in ctypes is a lot, but something else is
consuming even more time than ctypes itself if I believe your numbers,
because in the good cases we are around 1.4x slower than CPython.  So
with the admin app, say that CPython takes 1 sec; we would like to take
1.4 sec; we really take 3 sec; we loose 1.6 sec somewhere, including 0.6
sec in ctypes; so we loose 1 sec somewhere else.

In other words, it is more urgent to figure out where we loose 1 sec
(33% of our time) than trying to reduce ctypes' 20%.

A bientot,

Armin.