[pypy-dev] Dotviewer capabilities

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 00:36:59 CEST 2008

On 25/06/2008, at 19:05, Dinu Gherman wrote:
> So I throwed a few of my .dot
> files at dotviewer and got slightly surprised to see a few ra-
> ther basic things not quite working as I'd expect (like rec-
> tangular and record-like node shapes. I've created the follow-
> ing sample files to illustrate my findings:
>   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/sample.dot
>   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/sample.pdf
>   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/sample.sample-dotviewer.jpg
> I'm running PyGame 1.8.0rc5 on Mac OS X 10.5.3, BTW.
> So, am I running dotviewer in some wrong fashion? Do I need
> to run it on a different PyGame version or another OS? Or is
> there some documentation for docviewer and its capabilities,
> that I haven't found yet?
> In fact, what I hoped to find in dotviewer is a browser for
> dot files in which I can fold individual parts of a graph in
> and out (while GraphViz is, perhaps, recalculating the layout).
> If dotviewer cannot do that, maybe somebody knows of another
> browser which can?

I think the dotviewer only has support for the features needed by pypy
graphs, so it only supports the features used there and nothing more.
I know pypy.rlib.parsing also uses it but what it draws is the same
kind of nodes that pypy translator generates.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other dot viewers out there (I know
omnigraffle opens dot files maybe you should try) but extending the
viewer is probably not too hard.

Leonardo Santagada