[pypy-dev] Dotviewer capabilities

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Jun 26 11:19:39 CEST 2008

Carl Friedrich Bolz:

>>   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/sample.dot
>>   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/sample.pdf
>>   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/sample.sample-dotviewer.jpg

Sorry, as you probably found out, the last link must be:

   http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/sample-dotviewer.jpg

> The PyPy dot viewer isn't working well for records, since PyPy hasn't
> used them so far. I guess adding support would maybe be easy. Apart
> from
> the fact that the borders of the record boxes are missing, what else
> do
> you think is wrong with the jpg above? It looks very similar to the
> pdf.

I understand and I didn't expect records to work, but I thought
that rectangles were common enough to support them. ;-) A quick
code review shows that GraphRenderer.draw_node_commands() in
drawgraph.py ignores the "rect" node shape, hmm... Funny, but
the GraphViz docs don't mention a "rect" shape although it seems
to work with dot/neato etc. But ok, after changing my stuff to
use "box" instead of "rect" dotviewer renders them happily as
rects...

Marius Gedminas:

> There's http://code.google.com/p/jrfonseca/wiki/XDot, which barfed
> on my
> .dot files that tried to use HSV colours.  It also links to
> http://zvtm.sourceforge.net/zgrviewer.html which I've never tried.

The first is too heavy to install for me on OS X now (PyGTK) and
the seconds looks promising (although very javaish) and very capa-
ble of zooming, but not of folding/unfolding.

> <reminiscence>
> My introduction to PyGame was hacking PyPy's dot viewer during the
> Vilnius sprint...  Ahh, those were the times.
> </reminiscence>

Be prepared for a few questions in Vilnius, then! ;-) I think this
folding would be a great feature to have, also for PyPy. Does that
look like a sprint topic?

Thanks,

Dinu