[pypy-dev] JIT SoC

Gary Robinson grobinson at goombah.com
Fri Mar 28 15:33:49 CET 2008

I saw the suggestion "A good project would be to give the 386 backend a good refactoring, simplifying it, then add support for missing features like floating-point arithmetic." on the list of PyPy independent project suggestions.

I'm wondering two things:

1) Is it realistically possible that after the SoC, if that work was taken on by someone, PyPy would be usable in an environment where high-speed floating-point calcs were needed? (The environment I have in mind wouldn't be putting much other stress on python -- it doesn't need a GUI, etc.) It sounds to me like it's far too big a project, but I don't know the existing code at all so I don't want to assume -- it would be great if it could be done.

2) I understand Google is suppling $5000 per project ($4500 for the student). Is there any reason an outside company can't throw a little extra money into the pot for a particular task to sweeten the motivation for that task to be done in the SoC?

--

Gary Robinson
CTO
grobinson at goombah.com