[pypy-dev] Windows Testing

Scott Dial scott+pypy-dev at scottdial.com
Mon May 12 06:25:51 CEST 2008

Greetings Everyone,

I was indulging in a bit of googling of my name and ran across this blog
post from months back:

http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2007/11/sprint-discussions-releases-testing.html

"""
As you can see, we are lacking in the Windows testing area, which is an
even worse problem because none of the currently active developers has
Windows as his primary OS. We should improve this by finding a Windows
machine where the tests are run nightly and where we can log in to try
bug-fixes quickly. The latter bit is important, we had a nightly windows
test run before (thanks to Scott Dial) but it didn't help, because even
if you tried to fix a bug you would have to wait until the next night to
see whether it worked.
"""

Oddly enough, I came to this conclusion as well, but at the time I
withdrew my box because some serious problems developed with PyPy on
Win32 that made it impractical to continue to run the test suite. Early
this February I took some time to try and run the test suite again (same
problems exist as they did almost a year ago).

However, this time, I set it up on a VMWare instance on a Linux server.
If someone would be interested in having access to that VMWare instance,
then I would be willing to provide the login information. Alternatively,
I might be able to invest some time in solving the bugs, but I'm not
sure. In the past, I got the impression that the development team was
indifferent to Win32 support and was not interested in being an advocate.

-Scott

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com