[pypy-dev] Development philosophy

Jacob Hallén jacob at openend.se
Mon May 26 00:30:10 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I have been following several discussions that have been going on in the past
couple of weeks concering the speed of certain parts of the code and the size
of the the code base. While I think the sentiments about the different things
are absolutely right, I think that the limited resources that we have require
us to make choices in what we do and when we do it.

My views are that:

- Apart from a few libraries, like socket() and I/O, it doesn't matter that
the library code is extremely slow, for the time being. We want to find some
application where we can make a big difference early, rather than try to be
everything to everyone from the start. Things like zlib and cryptography can
be very slow, as long as they are correct.

- For core language functionality, speed matters a lot. Apart from the JIT
work, which still is a long term project, I can see a couple of useful
avenues for improving speed. One is optimising calls, which Samuele has more
thoughts about. The other one is to dig into the list operation
microbenchmarks, where our performance is a lot worse than CPython 2.4. List
operations are a very large part of most real Python applications (like all
the zillion web frameworks) and improving them may increase our chances of
adoption before the JIT work is usable.

- I agree that the size of the project in lines of code is getting
problematic, but I think it would be a mistake to start doing anything about
it at this point in time. We are still not doing well enough for completeness
and correctness to start simplifying the code. we need to tackle one aspect
at a time. Otherwise we won't be able to see if we are making progress or
just making things worse.

Our planned work to make Django run is very much about completeness and
correctness. Let's keep our focus there for a while.

Jacob