[pypy-dev] Some Newbie Questions

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 12:44:38 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Phyo Arkar <phyo.arkarlwin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Pypy Devs!
>
> I love python so much and I am so exicted by this ambitious project!
>
> What I understand about this Project is to develop a version of python
> , which is written in Pure Python .  SO now , i do not have C Skills
> but I can Develop , Tweak , Make changes to python Just in Python , Am
> I Right? SO In Future , it is possible that Guido himself will be
> developing python in PyPy ?

That's possible, although far in the future. Look here:
http://moderator.appspot.com/ and search for pypy.

> Question : I have to use Python Or  RPython?

Have to use for what? If you want to participate in PyPy project, you
probably need to know a bit about rpython, otherwise no, you don't.
That can be gradual and relatively painless though :) (probably better
than learning C or CPython's C API)

> Also  By doing so , We can convert Python to Any langauge of Choice ,
> which is very interesting.

No, only restricted subset of it, RPython.

> I have build pypy-c with optimization Level 3 and stackless , whcih is
> done flawlessly. I have seen benchmarks on one of the page and now
> PyPy is even faster then Normal python 2.5 827 vs 810 ms on Richard
> Test, it is very interesting .
>
> Question : Resulting pypy-c is python 2.4.1 , is there python 2.5
> Version of pypy-c avaliable? I saw a branch about it before by a GSOC
> student but now is that already marged ?(my version svn is 4 days ago)

Yes, it's merged into pypy-trunk. Download it from svn from here:
http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/trunk/

> If that arleady marged , how can i build it to get pypy-c with python
> 2.5 support?

Exactly like 2.4, just use trunk.

> Another Questions is , If i follow my Python code in RPython , Can i
> converty RPythonic Code to C and compile ? SO it is possilbe to
> convert Existing Python Projects into C (if they follow Rpython)?

The simple answer is: they don't follow RPython. I'm pretty sure about
this. You need to rewrite them from scratch, at least in parts for
that. It's not very helpful.

> Another , i compiled pypy-c in stackless , which is faster in term of
> pypy-c's perfomance? normal or stackless?

normal, although not by much. There is also an experimental option
--gcrootfinder=asmgcc which makes it even faster, but does not
cooperate well with ctypes for example.

> Also doing  , what are the extra modules added with --allworkingmodules ?

You should have list when you start compiling. For linux machine, it's:

    ["_socket", "unicodedata", "mmap", "fcntl",
      "rctime" , "select", "zipimport", "_lsprof",
     "crypt", "signal", "dyngram", "_rawffi", "termios", "zlib",
     "struct", "md5", "sha", "bz2", "_minimal_curses", "cStringIO",
     "thread", "itertools"]

(copy-pasted from file)

> I am hoping in near future , i can help in this project after enough
> understanding .

You're very much welcomed to do so. Come on #pypy on IRC, it's better
then mail sometimes.