[pypy-dev] Possible starting points

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Thu Sep 4 14:45:44 CEST 2008

Hi and welcome!

Calen Pennington wrote:
> I've been intrigued by pypy for a while =, but haven't really been
> able to find a good place to start contributing on my own, so I was
> wondering if anyone had suggestions. As far as what I'm interested in,
> I'd really like to see pypy be more accessible to mainstream python
> users, and to be closer to an easy drop in replacement for CPython
> (although it seems unlikely that it would become the standard python
> distribution any time soon). I know c extensions are one blocker to
> that, as well as feature completeness (although i don't really know
> the details of where pypy stands with regards to 2.5 (or 2.6/3.0, for
> that matter)).

2.5 should be mostly implemented, there are still a couple of bugs left
and the branch is still not merged, but we should get there soon.

Something that would be quite useful is to port some of the remaining
extension modules of CPython to be either pure Python or RPython (where
Python is usually preferred). Some of the easy candidates are csv, maybe
 curses (using ctypes).

[snip]

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich