[pypy-dev] Switching to a distributed version control system

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sat Sep 13 17:03:57 CEST 2008

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:29:36 +0200, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:13:04AM +0200, Jacob Hallén wrote:
>> I think that it would be a suitable point in time to switch to a new version
>> control system right after the 1.1 release.
>I haven't read this thread in detail, but I should quickly mention that
>subversion works quite well enough from my point of view.
>An obstacle to switching is the amount of integration efforts that was
>done, mainly on codespeak, between the repository and various other
>facilities.  It is ok to discuss alternatives, but we need to keep in
>mind that someone will have to stand up and redo all that work on

In order to try to simplify discussions about changing tools, Twisted
has tried to start building up a centralized list of the important
features we use (still something of a work in progress):

If someone writes up something similar for PyPy then it might be easier
to talk about what tools can be replaced, what the consequences are, etc.