[pypy-dev] unladen/swallow, pyjs+pyv8, pyjs+python-spidermonkey: accessing c python modules from optimised python compilers

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Apr 7 14:48:38 CEST 2009

Hi Luke,

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 06:10:28PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> the "fly in the ointment" is that for "full" optimisation to occur, it
> is necessary to "break out" from the prison that intobject.c,
> longobject.c etc. make.
>
> once this prison is opened, by turning the hard-coded python types
> into a more flexible and dynamically-overridable architecture, you
> (the pypy developers) will be free to write modules that will allow
> interoperability between [admittedly recompiled] c-based python
> modules, with no effort [other than recompilation] required on the
> part of the users.

I am not sure what the point you are trying to make is, just by reading
a bit of the URL you pointed to.  Maybe I should read more... :-/

I should just point out that supporting C extension modules in PyPy has
been discussed, but the obvious conclusion was that you can't just
recompile the ones from CPython and hope that they work (unless you do
completely evil tricks, e.g. with the garbage collector).

A bientot,