[pypy-dev] Naming scheme

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 21:41:27 CEST 2009

On Apr 16, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:

> Hello.
>
> That might sound a bit like bike sheding, but I would like to talk a
> bit about naming scheme.
>
> What do you think about actually naming PyPy release 2.5 after
> language version it supports?
>
> We can invent suffixes like pypy-2.5-something in order to release
> still 2.5, but which supports some more
> things (like JIT?).

This will be a lot simpler for end users of the pypy python
interpreter, but it blur the line even more between pypy the toolkit
and pypy python interpreter. maybe naming and versioning them
differently might help (pypy-toolkit 1.1 and pypy-2.5), but I really
don't know.

But the name pypy-2.5 and later pypy-2.5-jit put directly in the name
the most important features of pypy (the project).

[]'s
--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com