[pypy-dev] LLVM and JS backends

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Fri Apr 17 12:15:09 CEST 2009

Hi Donny,

Donny Viszneki wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfbolz at gmx.de> wrote:
>> today we removed the LLVM and the JS backends from the trunk. Both were
>> not really maintained anymore, there usefulness was limited and there
>> tests were mostly skipped. The people at the sprint decided that it
>> would be best to remove them from the repository so that they are not
>> part of the release. If somebody is interested in reviving and actively
>> maintaining them, please speak up.
>
> I've been keeping one eye on pypy for some time waiting to see if the
> JS backend would mature. If you or someone else can provide a guide to
> getting started with the JS back-end, I would strongly consider
> devoting a significant amount of my time to this project!
>
> Thanks for keeping us up to date!

The JS backend had no active maintainer in a long time, so it wouldn't
have matured. There just was no development on it.

If you are interesting in taking over maintainership, please show up in
the #pypy channel on freenode and get someone to give you commit
privileges. Then we should probably discuss in which form it should be
resurrected.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich