[pypy-dev] PyPy 1.1 beta release

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:24:14 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 08:25, Niko Matsakis <niko at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2009, at 8:36 PM, Jacob Hallén wrote:
>
>> I think this formulation is a bit confusing. It is not our speed
>> that is
>> 0.8-2x CPython, it is our performance relative to CPython that is
>> between 0.8
>> and 2, with 0.8 meaning that we are faster than CPython on those
>> benchmarks,
>> and 2 meaning that we need twice the time to run the benchmark.
>
> Maybe I am a bit confused, but I don't see a difference between those
> two things?
>
> i.e., if the speed is 0.8x CPython, to me that means that it runs in
> 80% of CPython's time (i.e., faster), whereas 2x CPython would be
> twice as much time.
>
> In any case, I agree that the second formulation is phrased more
> clearly, just curious if my understanding of 0.8x is flawed.

The problem is when you talk about _speed_. The term "performance" can
be considered ambiguous, but speed is obviously the opposite (or
better, is inversely proportional) of running time (and you were
talking about the latter).  If my _speed_ is twice as yours, I
complete the same distance (or do the same things) in half the time,
of course.

Got to take another Physics class ;-D? Or to get some rest after
preparing the release? (Just kidding obviously).

Bye
--
Paolo Giarrusso