[pypy-dev] running the pypy toolchain

Terrence Cole list-sink at trainedmonkeystudios.org
Thu Aug 20 09:30:20 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 14:51 -0600, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Terrence
> Cole<list-sink at trainedmonkeystudios.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 12:27 +1000, Ben Mellor wrote:

> >> What I'm currently doing with an interpreter I'm messing around with is to just
> >> put the path to PyPy in my PYTHONPATH (I'm using the 1.1.0 release right now,
> >> but I think it would work for an svn checkout as well). That works for running
> >> on top of CPython, even with my interpreter project directory completely
> >> outside of the PyPy tree.
> >
> > That did the trick!  My test suite is a bit of a kludge now though since
> > I can't reference my interpreter from an absolute pypy path.  I have
> > added .. to my sys.path manually to get them working again, but it's
> > very ugly.  Is there a better way to handle this?
> >

> I'm not sure, but PYTHONPATH can handle multiple paths, like:
> PYTHONPATH=path_a:path_b
>
> is this what you wanted?

I think it would work, but maybe I should just describe what I'm trying
to do.

My tests are in befunge/tests/.  I need to import the interpreter from
befunge/Interpreter.py.  Before, I just dropped autopath.py into tests
and did 'import pypy.lang.befunge.Interpreter'.  Now that autopath is
not an option, I need some way to tell my tests to look in ../ for
interpreter sources.  I was hoping there was a common idiom less
cringeworthy than sys.path=['..']+sys.path.  It seems like this would be
a common problem, but maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

> Cheers,
> fijal

Thanks,
Terrence