[pypy-dev] Special methods

William Leslie william.leslie.ttg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 05:36:56 CET 2009

You probably mean SomeInstance rather than SomeObject in that annotator patch.

2009/12/4 Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>:
> 2009/12/3 Hakan Ardo <hakan at debian.org>:
>> Hi,
>> some while ago we had a discution about how to make rpython classes
>> supprt special methods.  I've spent some time on that and have an
>> implementation[1] that implemtes support for quite a few of them. It
>> consists of 4 patches and one special_methods module. Would it be of
>> interest to palce this in the svn? If not what about apply the patches
>> (with suitable modificatons)? How cnan I make that happend?
>
> I'm personally -1 to this change. RPython is supposed to be a
> no-frills language, and I don't really see the advantage or use cases
> for adding this extra maintenance burden.

Not only is it potentially a maintainence burden, it is also a
development burden when doing optimisations on the rtyped graphs, for
example, any optimisation that deals with setitem in some way now has
to deal with the target not being a list or dict. This is probably not
as big a deal now as it may be in the future, since a lot of new
analyses seem to be using the lltype and ootype systems rather than
the high level types (hence the type information is encoded into the
operation where useful).

Willam Leslie