[pypy-dev] Parallel translation?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat Dec 5 16:44:45 CET 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 06:18:13PM +0100, Antonio Cuni wrote:
> I agree that at this point in time we cannot or don't want to make
> annotation/rtyping/backend parallelizable, but it should definitely be
> possible to just pass the -j flag to 'make' in an automatic way.

Of course, that is full of open problems too.  The main one is that each
gcc process consumes potentially a lot of RAM, so just passing "-j" is
not a great idea, as all gccs are started in parallel.  It looks like
some obscure tweak is needed, like setting -j to a number that depends
not only on the number of CPUs (as is classically done) but also on the
total RAM of the system...

A bientot,

Armin.