[pypy-dev] Special methods

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Dec 11 12:41:16 CET 2009

Hi Hakan,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 11:12:41AM +0100, Hakan Ardo wrote:
> OK I didn't know. It seems to me that it could be useful more
> generally... But if you're not interested I'll keep this stuff
> elsewhere somehow...

Indeed, the current situation is that we actively don't want to support
more RPython features if it's not clear what they could be used for in
writing interpreters.  We are not interested in supporting RPython as a
general-purpose language, because we don't have the resources to do it
and because it's not really the goal of the PyPy project.  The goal is
to give you a good and fast interpreter for full Python.

> Well this is what python does, i.e str(None) is the string 'None' in
> python. Rpython is suppsed to be a subset of python isn't it?

Yes, so in that sense, str(None) returning the string 'None' is the only
sane result.  What I was complaining about is that it looks pretty
pointless to add that rule when writing an interpreter for any different
language.  It might be useful for debugging, though.

A bientot,

Armin.