[pypy-dev] JIT issues on x86_64

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Dec 13 12:25:43 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 08:35:12PM +0100, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> I imagine it will involve a lot of assembly or very low-level C?

You have to know assembly, but program in Python.

> Also have the translator fail on different architectures for JIT with a
> clear error that it isn't implemented yet.

It's supposed to.  When I try it, I get the following error:

    ProcessorAutodetectError: unsupported cpu 'x86_64'

Are you sure you aren't running a 32-bit version of Python?  If you are,
then you will be getting a 32-bit version of pypy-c-jit too, and it
should work.  Maybe you have to tweak the gcc options to compile it,
though.  The point is that the produced '.c' files should be for 32-bit
then.

(I guess that given that we generate .c files specifically for 32-bit or
64-bit, these files should at least contain a '#error' if you try to
compile them on a different word size.)

A bientot,

Armin.