[pypy-dev] Advice needed debugging a Sys.exit error involving py.py and Stackless.py

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon Dec 14 13:45:44 CET 2009

Hi Andrew,

On 12/12/2009 01:02 AM, Andrew Francis wrote:
 > I am trying to add a new function, stackless.select() to the
Stackless.py module. This select() is loosely based on the select() in
Newsqueak/Go. Once I get this select() to work, I would like to figure
out some Python
 > syntax to support it. One step deeper into PyPy :-)
 >
 > For the most part, select() is pretty straightforward to implement.
 > In two of my test cases, test4.py and test5.py, the select() function
seems to work. Unfortunately, I get a sys.exit() error.

unfortunately I don't really have time to dig deeply into your code. I
just wanted to give you the following hint: if you install greenlets for
CPython, you can test the lib/stackless.py code on top of CPython.

This makes it possible to distinguish problems in the pure app-level
code in lib/stackless.py from problems in the RPython-implementation of
coroutines in PyPy. Given that you are changing the applevel code only,
it is much more likely that the problem is actually caused by something
you changed.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich