[pypy-dev] Questions about RPython

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:47:00 CET 2009

Hi,

2009/12/17 Olli Wang <olliwang at ollix.com>

> Hi, I was trying to develop a tiny application using RPython and I have a
> few of questions. Obviously, RPython has the advantage of translating the
> code to various backends so we can get much better performance than Python
> scripts running on top of any Python implementation, so I was wondering, is
> it possible to rewrite the full Python's standard library using RPython so
> people can treat RPython as a general purpose programming language? (is that
> a good idea?)

I don't think so. RPython is a statically typed language, even if types are
not explicit in the code, but determined by the translator. For example,
os.open() accepts a string for its first argument, so it cannot accept
unicode.
A RPython library would be quite different from the CPython standard
library.

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc