[pypy-dev] pytest news: plugins, pycon, release-separation

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Sat Feb 21 12:39:36 CET 2009

Hi all,

as only some of you are also following pytest developments,
find below some news relevant to PyPy as well i think -
i plan to merge the new pytest into py/trunk next week
which is an svn-external for PyPy.

If you have any feedback, i think it's ok if you send
it here to pypy-dev, particularly if it is about
pypy-related concerns.

cheers,
holger

Hi folks,

some good news.  as those glimpsing at pytest svn-commits know
i am heavily working on a new plugin architecture.  I am
really happy about it as those also following me on my
brand-new twitter account (hpk42) might guess.

Around Pycon i am giving a tutorial about advanced testing
topics including cross-platform distributed testing and
writing plugins and i plan to talk in detail about the new and
much improved ways of doing things. Here is the status:

* Terminal reporting is now a nice self-contained plugin
* there is a new "xfail" plugin, inspired by SimPy to mark
  test functions as "expected to fail" and report specially
* a "poccoo" plugin for sending test failures to http://paste.pocoo.org
* new plugins for managing setup/teardown of application state,
  using a turns-out-to-work-great new mechanism
  which i guess nosetests might imitate at some point :)

Regarding the next release i consider doing the following:

* open two google-code projects "pytest" and "pylib"
  with their svn repos remaining at codespeak (where
  many projects share one respository - i prefer that)

* move current py/test/ to its own "pytest/" root project
  and depend on the py lib for install.

* aim to do two alpha releases,
  pytest-1.0 alpha and py lib 1.0 alpha (containing the rest)

What do you think?  I am unfamiliar with commoditized
code hosting and consider using google code.  I'd probably
like to also have an issue tracker for pytest.  Any
comments/recommendations?  Would someone be up
for co-admining such a project?

Meanwhile i am finishing up the pytestplugins branch
for merge to trunk, stay tuned :)

cheers & have fun,
hope to meet some of you at Pycon,
holger