[pypy-dev] Parsing in PyPy (and runicode)

Jacob Hallén jacob at openend.se
Fri Feb 27 19:19:03 CET 2009

fredagen den 27 februari 2009 skrev Frank Wierzbicki:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Leonardo Santagada <santagada at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > The thing that would be great is if pypy and jython would use the same
> > parser using antlr so the work to support python 3.0 (and 2.7, 2.8, etc)
> > could be partially shared :)
>
> This would indeed be very cool.  Also, ANTLR 3.x supports a really
> interesting form of grammar inheritance which would help us share a
> base grammar (I remember it has a sort of diff-merge form of
> inheritance, my google skills are failing me, I'll find a reference
> today sometime I'm sure).  At the JVM Language summit last year, I met
> ANTLR expert Jim Idle, and he expressed an interest in seeing if the
> Jython grammar could be used as a grammar for CPython.  I've copied
> Jim Idle on this email.
>
> As a side note, it appears that Guido van Rossum has had some positive
> experiences with ANTLR recently:
>
> http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2009-February/032783.html
>
> -Frank

Andrew Dalke, who is very thorough in his investigation of software, has
written som interesting things about his experience with ANTLR as well as
some other parsing projects. In short, he likes ANTLR as a tool, but in his
application, it is considerably slower than some other alternatives.
He also has something called python4ply, which is a ready, MIT licensed
parser for Python.

You can find his articles on
http://www.dalkescientific.com/writings/diary/archive/

Jacob Hallén