[pypy-dev] GIL removal in PyPy (was: Re: Threaded interpretation)

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 12:05:25 CET 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 4:18 AM, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:

> There was, luckily, somebody on the mailing list who said "maybe we
> should drop refcounting", but people didn't listen for some reason.

You repeated this meme many times in your emails, so I thought that
maybe you really didn't see the full picture. This is what I
understand from the reasoning behind it.

Dropping refcounting and move to free threading would completely break
all C modules so they would have to be rewritten and would make the
CPython API much more complex and integration with C libraries hard.
That's why no one took it seriously. Think like this, breaking all c
modules would make CPython as usable as haskell :), or just look at
the number of libraries not available right now for Python 3.0.

It is not some retarded choice made by GvR, but a pragmatic one.
Python as a language used by millions of people can't completely
change semantics from version to version.

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com