[pypy-dev] Talk in the Supercomputing Day, Madrid

Guillem Borrell i Nogueras guillem at torroja.dmt.upm.es
Fri Jan 9 10:54:51 CET 2009

Hello everyone

My name is Guillem Borrell and I am a researcher in the Computational Fluid
Dynamics Laboratory in the School of Aeronautics, Universidad Politécnica de
Madrid.

This year I'm in charge of organising the Supercomputing Day. Its aim is to
present in form of talks the recent and future developments in high performance
computing in science and engineering. It holds five talks, open to anyone, on
one day and we expect that it will take place on Agust the 1st of 2009.

Most of supercomputing software use static languages such as Fortran or C but
postprocessing is usually done in dynamic  languages, mostly matlab. While it
uses dynamic languages on a daily basis the scientific community has almost
never taken a look at what the virtual machines can offer in terms of
versatility, ease of use and performance.

Pypy is now at the bleeding edge of dynamic language implementation and I think
that some of you can give some insight on what dynamic languages (and pypy, of
course) can offer in the field of supercomputing.  I know that pypy is not only
focused in performance but our intention is to get an overview, not only to talk
about a single project.

My question is ¿Is some of the pypy developers interested in give such a talk?
If the answer is yes  ther's still plenty of time to think about the details.

I personall think that pypy is the most mind challenging software project and
this can be a little effort to present some of its achievements to a broader
audience.

We have two confirmed talks at the moment.  The first one will be on future
microprocessor architecture development and the Cell architecture in particular
and the second one will be about distributed file systems and Lustre.

Sincerely yours.
--
guillem

Guillem Borrell i Nogueras
Laboratorio de Mecánica de Fluidos Computacional
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Aeronáuticos
guillem at torroja.dmt.upm.es
Web: http://torroja.dmt.upm.es/guillem/blog