[pypy-dev] Talk in the Supercomputing Day, Madrid

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:04:24 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 17:05, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Paolo Giarrusso <p.giarrusso at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, first I'd like to qualify myself as a student of Virtual Machine
>> implementations, not working (yet) on PyPy itself, and aware of some
>> HPC issues at a basic level. Still, I'd like to help pinpointing the
>> discussion.

> Sorry, but I would like to point out that this thread is about
> possible conference appearance, not general discussion about HPC.

> Things that you mentioned are interesting, but off topic and are
> possibly well known to Guillem I suppose.

I introduced them thinking they were on topic, as general ideas to
maybe discuss in the talk. Or rather, to suggest discussing facts
about them in the talk.

== MORE REFERENCES ==
Anwyay, some googling found a couple of interesting papers on
(dynamic) auto-parallelization, which are for Java.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=859668
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=991008

>From the abstracts, I expect the second to be more challenging to
transport to Python. Existing static automatic parallelizing compilers
are already not satisfactory, as pointed out by Guillem, but the 1st
paper seem to suggest that a JIT can better tune the introduced
parallelism.

Anyway, this seems still research and not production-level technology.
Is the latter available?
> Paolo, please feel free to use pypy-dev as a discussion place,
> especially regarding implementing dynamic VMs, but we would be
> grateful if you stick to some guidelines:

> * Stick to the topic of current discussion.

> * Discuss one issue at a time, and not a complete flow of buzzwords.

> * Try to provide more sources/details rather than general statements

Maciej, I first want to apologize if my mail was not indeed useful,
and if I seemed to use pypy-dev as a forum.
But I was trying to discuss the topic of the conference appearance,
given that the topics (of the talk itself) are probably going to be
"Ideas for a JIT for numerical computing in Python" and "Is/Will be
Python better than alternatives, as of today/in the future?". The
"future" part is where all the "buzzwords" came from, even if more
experience could have detailed some of them. And I did want to provide
an overview, so that one can then focus on specific points.

Given the interest and resource on HPC computing, implementing in a
JIT optimizations for static compilers which are suited to HPC could
be useful and could find enough resources, if the optimizations are
worth their cost, and given somebody willing to solve the formidable
challenges I expect of this idea.

Regards
--
Paolo Giarrusso