[pypy-dev] pypy for typed languages?

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 11:46:29 CET 2009

Hi Armin,

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 18:52, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> Hi Paolo,

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 05:28:32AM +0100, Paolo Giarrusso wrote:
>> I think also PyPy does something similar for Python, but only through
>> a hash table. I'd love to see how much inline caching would help on
>> top of that, when I'll have time to start working on this.

> No.  PyPy does something very different, more similar to trace-based
> JITs (goggle :-)
Ah OK, sorry for that.
> That does not involve hash tables (I don't know what
> you are referring to here).

I was thinking about the method cache in the interpreter; I'm not yet
familiar with the approaches you used for JIT compilation (neither the
one of PyPy 1.0 nor the one being prototyped right now), but I know
the general purpose "get a JIT from an interpreter", and I thought
that having a matching behaviour implied using the same lookup
algorithm in JITted code. I understand that's no more true, with the
ideas of trace-based JITs.

Greetings,
--
Paolo Giarrusso