[pypy-dev] Hello PyPy Developer Team

Samuel Reis con at samuelreis.de
Mon Nov 2 23:47:27 CET 2009

Hello everybody,

My name is Samuel Reis and I'm a 17-year-old student from Hanover, Germany.

First of all, I'm very sorry for my English. It's not that I think I
write English _that_ worse, but I don't know what kind of impression I
make with that.

Anyway ...

I found this project a few months ago while I was looking for
alternative python interpreters.
Since then I found it really interested reading blog posts, sprint
reports, etc. and watching this project's progress.
Meanwhile it has to be the whole site that I already read, I think ;).

I would call myself a (not so advanced) advanced programmer :) in C, as
I do that since a few years (besides some ugly BASIC-Dialects - not that
C is beautiful since I met python).
Not to forget obj-orientated PHP, which was my entry point to scripting
languages and still is the majority of code I write - both private and
at work.
To the Python language I'm a freshman (a few months, as said), but
although I have to look up 60-70% of the functions in the manual, I know
and understand the python language structure very well.

The concept of defining python in python itself fascinates me, and also
how this concept developed and now involves the possibility to create
interpreter code for (in theory) every computer language/environment (if
I understood that right).

Contributing to this project would make me very happy, so I would be
glad if there were some/more minor things to do for me as a beginner.

Oh, yeah, and not to forget:
I've created a small piece of artwork related to pypy. I don't know if
it has any use for you, but just for the sharings sake, I'll share it
with you.

http://samuelreis.de/artwork/pypy/pypy_fin.jpg
http://samuelreis.de/artwork/pypy/pypy_fin.svg

The logo art is inspired of an ancient symbol called "Ouroboros",
"depicting a serpent or dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a
circle." (en.wikipedia.org)
I think this nicely symbolizes the recursivity of writing a python
interpreter in python itself.

This is licensed under the CC BY-SA Germany license.
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/de/deed.en)

I'll be very happy with your feedback :)

Regards -- Samuel