[pypy-dev] Problem with pypy-c and stacklesssocket.py

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Nov 5 10:36:05 CET 2009

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:36:54AM -0700, Andrew Francis wrote:
>   File "/home/andrew/lab/pypy-dist/lib-python/2.5.2/asyncore.py", line 109, in poll
>     is_r = obj.readable()
> ReferenceError: weakly referenced object no longer exists

I am afraid that you will not get much answers, mostly because we are
not into developing or supporting the Stackless modules right now.
However the problem does not seem Stackless-oriented, but just a misuse
of reference counting.  You get obviously a weak proxy object, so the
question is who made it and why, and why does it make a difference
between CPython and PyPy.  Remember that as we don't have reference
counting, weak references can disappear at times that look a bit more
"random" in PyPy than in CPython.  I can only imagine that it's this
kind of abuse of reference counting that hits you with PyPy (or Jython
or IronPython fwiw).

A bientot,