[pypy-dev] benchmarking input

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 23:49:10 CEST 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:

> Anders Hammarquist wrote:
>> Anyway, what I was thinking about, and need input on, is how to get
>> at the interpreters to run the benchmark.
> [...]
>
> I wonder, would it be possible to add Cython to the benchmark loop?
> I would
> love to see it compared to PyPy, simply because both projects aim to
> compile Python code to C code (amongst other things, obviously).
>
> I know that Cython can't currently compete with PyPy in terms of
> feature
> completeness - it clearly lacks some very important features of the
> Python
> language, so it won't be able to run all benchmarks for a while, and
> the
> comparison would easily show where the black spots are that need
> fixing.

I think you did some really interesting experiments but the projects
don't aim at the same thing at all. PyPy python interpreter is not
compiling python code to C it is just interpreting it and using a jit
to dynamically compile code (and this is directly to machine code).
PyPy python interpreter is meant to be a fully compatible python
interpreter and it doesn't depend on no CPython code (like cython does).

I only think it is interesting to compare pypy to other python
interpreters, anything that fully suports the python language. I do
find cython cool, but as it doesn't try to be a python interpreter
there would be no point in doing that.

What I would like to see is comparisons against python 2.5-7, 3.1,
unladen swallow, psyco 2.0 and ironpython.

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com