[pypy-dev] Extension Modules Re: Question on Hard Switching and Soft Switching

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 00:37:10 CEST 2009

Hello Armin:

--- On Wed, 9/30/09, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> This is a question for Stackless Python only, not PyPy, so
> you should post in that mailing list, not here :-)  To answer it,
> it's not visible to the user: it's just two different implementations of
> switching. "Hard switching" is by actually moving part of the C stack
> away; "soft  switching" is using a purely standard C approach.
> PyPy only has soft switching (but with the same Stackless interface).

But is soft switching still about roughly 10 times faster than hard
switching (value quoted in the Nuts and Bolts presentation).

Because of only support for soft switching, I will assume I will have to write my own PyPy extension for say, networking I/O like select()/asyncore. Or does that already exist?

Cheers,
Andrew