[pypy-dev] Does PyPy supports Java ME?

Jan Wedel Jan.Wedel at ettex.de
Tue Oct 6 15:15:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

I was currently working on a port of PyMite (8-Bit MCU port of CPython)
to Java ME. I already got the interpreter working so that basic Python
scripts could run as code images on a mobile java IMP device. Actually
we need Python interpreters on different embedded platforms supporting
either C or Java ME (IMP). I discovered a lot of problems including the
missing class implementation of PyMite.

Then, by recommendation, I found PyPy. It looks as if it is exactly what
I was looking for and I read that it is specifically designed to support
embedded platforms. But I want to clarify a few things:

1.) Does PyPy generate both C and Java Bytecode for the Interpreter out
of the box or with low effort?
2.) Is the java code compatible with Java ME or is it possible to modify
the PyPy-code/Interpreter-code so that Java ME is supported?
3.) What standard libraries are supported? I coulnd't find a list.
Especially the communication (such as socket) functionality is
important.
4.) Do you think PyPy is stable enough for commercial use? The MIT
license allows commercial use as far as I read.

Thank you very much!

Regards, Jan