[pypy-dev] Does PyPy supports Java ME?

holger krekel holger at merlinux.eu
Thu Oct 8 15:17:10 CEST 2009

Hi Jan,

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 15:15 +0200, Jan Wedel wrote:
> I was currently working on a port of PyMite (8-Bit MCU port of CPython)
> to Java ME. I already got the interpreter working so that basic Python
> scripts could run as code images on a mobile java IMP device. Actually
> we need Python interpreters on different embedded platforms supporting
> either C or Java ME (IMP). I discovered a lot of problems including the
> missing class implementation of PyMite.
>
> Then, by recommendation, I found PyPy. It looks as if it is exactly what
> I was looking for and I read that it is specifically designed to support
> embedded platforms.

Do you have a pointer to documentation or a text that says so?  I wouldn't
see PyPy this way.  However, we do have a pypy-c version that works on
Maemo and is more efficient for larger amounts of user objects.  We also
have ideas how to reduce RSS size after interpreter startup,
mostly tied to pypy-c so far, though.

In principle it's also possible to translate RPython to C or JVM
and avoid interpretation alltogether.  RPython is >50 times faster
than CPython but less convenient to work with than regular Python
so only makes sense to consider for special purposes.  And is
probably best learned in collaboration with developers who know
how to work with it and are willing or paid to help.

cheers,
holger

--
Metaprogramming, Python, Testing: http://tetamap.wordpress.com