[pypy-dev] Help with "Exception: unexpected prebuilt constant"

Philip Guo pg at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 9 08:16:45 CEST 2009

Sorry for another newbish question, but I'm having trouble getting PyPy
translated into C code.  I added some calls to open() throughout the
interpreter codebase (to log some info to files), but it failed translation
with the following error:

  [translation:ERROR]  Exception: unexpected prebuilt constant: <built-in
function open>

I then tried doing 'import os' and then using os.fdopen, but with the same
error:

  [translation:ERROR]  Exception: unexpected prebuilt constant: <built-in
function fdopen>

In general, what Python standard library calls can I make from my modified
PyPy code and still have it translate properly?  Specifically, how do I
read/write files from within PyPy?

Thanks!
Philip