[pypy-dev] Why isn't the PyPy logo Ouroboros(Snake biting its tail)?

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon Oct 19 08:32:02 CEST 2009

In a message of Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:32:07 EDT, Khalid Shahin writes:
>I'm asking someone on the inside and I hope I got the right email address
>since this is the only one I could find.
>
>The current PyPy logo seems kind of plain. And Ouroboros is a symbol of
>snake biting its tail and represents a cycle, a re-creation of itself, or
> a self-reference. Which would fit nicely in the PyPy logo.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros
>
>If you like the idea I can create concept art for it.

Art is always nice, and of course the snake biting its own tail is
appropriate.  When python.org was looking for a new logo, Tim Parkin
produced one I liked very much which was of a snake eating its own
tail surrounding a globe.  He has said that we were free to use it
for PyPy at any time.  I've thought about it many times. It certainly
 would be prettier than what we have now.

The problem is that pypy-dev seems to be split between people who
don't care all that much about art, and those who care so very, very,
very much that they think that every artistic decision is worth
an enormous amount of effort and consideration.  I am in the last
group.  For the sake of ever having enough time to actually create
things, I have to severely limit my involvement in the critcism of
other people's art, which is something I can easily spend my whole
life at.  And there are so many other things that need doing ...

So, speaking just for me, I would be happy to see new art, but I
think that the 'design of the perfect PyPy logo' has the potential to
be an infinite time sink for me, and I am scared of that prospect.
On the other hand, I think that sending you off with the rule
'please make new art, but be prepared to be ignored' is particularly
uncivil.  I fear that this is all we can promise now.  But this
is only me, speaking for me here...

take care,
Laura Creighton