[pypy-dev] Improving the pypy website (and benchmarks)

Miquel Torres tobami at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:35:18 CEST 2009

Hi, this is my first post on the pypy-dev mailing list. I've commented on
the pypy blog, and was encouraged by fijal to continue here.
My daily job involves some web coding (HTML, javascript, Django...), python
coding (frameworks, scipts), usability analysis, and opensource project
management among other tasks, so I have some ideas on how to improve pypy's
website, as well as the project's visibility. I find the pypy project
extremely interesting (and important!), and I think that once a version of
the JIT gets into a release the project will get a lot more attention.

There are two things I want to discuss:

One is improving pypy's main website. While the current site has served its
purpose, it is mostly a pypy developers site. Better structure and
navigation would be desirable when pypy becomes popular among mainstream
python developers. So there are two options: to keep the current
http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/index.html site for developers and
develop a new www.pypy.org site, or improve the current one.

The tasks to perform would be:
- Agree on a new website or keeping and improving the current one
- Choose a CMS (or hand-code or whatever) to craft the website
- Define a navigation menu with key areas (about, download, news,
roadmap, benchmarks, developement...)
- Visual design
- Code ;.)

I can help with some (or all) of these tasks.

Another matter are benchmarks. Because it is the project's most visible
"feature" or "result", it would be great to publish a set of benchmarks so
that python users can keep track of performance across different versions
(cpython 2.6 vs pypy1.1, Jython, etc...). That way they can keep track of
performance improvements as well as decide when it becomes attractive for
them to make the switch from cpython. It would be the best advertisement for
the project. The best case would be if you internally perform performance
test to prevent performance regression on new releases, and that same data
could be also be automatically published on the web, in the dev pages
during development, and .in the "public" pages for final releases.

So the tasks here would be:
- Define a set of standard benchmarks that will serve as performance tests
for every new release (including alphas and betas)
- Create a script that gathers all the data for developers to analyse and
spot performance regressions and bugs AND outputs the data in such a way
that it can be automatically published on the website (so no extra
maintenance workload)
- Code the web page that beautifully shows the data in a suitable format
(tables, graphs)

I have recently done some work on dynamic javascript (or python) plotting,
so I can take care of the last part relatively easily. I could also help
with the second task.

So I leave it there for you to discuss. What do you think of it all?

Cheers,

Miquel