[pypy-dev] Improving the pypy website (and benchmarks)

fijall fijall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:45:41 CEST 2009

Hi.

First of all, thanks a lot for your interest. In general, my ideas are very
much in line with what you said. I'll try to answer specific questions
one by one.

> [snip]
> current http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/index.html site for
> developers and develop a new www.pypy.org site, or improve the current one.

I would go for www.pypy.org website, dedicated for potential users
and to keep current website under current address for potential developers.

> The tasks to perform would be:
> - Agree on a new website or keeping and improving the current one
> - Choose a CMS (or hand-code or whatever) to craft the website
> - Define a navigation menu with key areas (about, download, news,
> roadmap, benchmarks, developement...)
> - Visual design
> - Code ;.)

I would very much like to discuss this part in details with you.
If you can make it to pypy sprint, would be awesome, if not,
we should definitely at least chat online.

> I can help with some (or all) of these tasks.

Great :-)

> Another matter are benchmarks. Because it is the project's most visible
> "feature" or "result", it would be great to publish a set of benchmarks so
> that python users can keep track of performance across different versions
> (cpython 2.6 vs pypy1.1, Jython, etc...). That way they can keep track of
> performance improvements as well as decide when it becomes attractive for
> them to make the switch from cpython. It would be the best advertisement for
> the project. The best case would be if you internally perform performance
> test to prevent performance regression on new releases, and that same data
> could be also be automatically published on the web, in the dev pages
> during development, and .in the "public" pages for final releases.
> So the tasks here would be:
> - Define a set of standard benchmarks that will serve as performance tests
> for every new release (including alphas and betas)
> - Create a script that gathers all the data for developers to analyse and
> spot performance regressions and bugs AND outputs the data in such a way
> that it can be automatically published on the website (so no extra
> maintenance workload)
> - Code the web page that beautifully shows the data in a suitable format
> (tables, graphs)
> I have recently done some work on dynamic javascript (or python) plotting,
> so I can take care of the last part relatively easily. I could also help
> with the second task.
> So I leave it there for you to discuss. What do you think of it all?
> Cheers,
> Miquel

We have recently started some effort here:

http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/build/benchmark/

for the benchmarks and infrastructure. We also consider this effort
as a very important one.

As of yet, there is no web page automatically showing results, but
let's do it bit by bit. I uploaded some potential benchmarks to directory
there, so we have a starting point.

Where would you start?

Personally, I thinks it even makes sense to do some visual
design of a web page as a starting point.

Cheers,
fijal

PS. I was on holidays and now ill, hence long response time, sorry