[pypy-dev] Stackless Python and PyPy Stackless.py

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Sep 27 19:01:14 CEST 2009

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 03:25:23PM -0700, Andrew Francis wrote:
> Again as a part of my Stackless Python talk, I wanted to include a
> section on the "Future." I assume a part of Stackless Python's future
> is PyPy? Or am I being presumptuous?

The future is not completely clear.  PyPy does contain what is, as far
as I know, a full stackless implementation.  However it is incompatible
with some of the most modern extensions of PyPy (notably the JIT), at
least for now; it could be fixed in the future if there is interest.

> Regardless I would like to end the talk with a brief section on PyPy.
> I noticed the Stackless.py module in lib that contains the Stackless
> implementation in Python.

Yes, this is an implementation of Stackless Python on top of
some lower-level mechanism provided natively in PyPy.  It
might give good opportunities for changes and experimentation,
definitely.  However, if you end up needing new features from
the lower-level mechanism, you might have to look into
'pypy/module/_stackless' or 'pypy/rlib/coroutine.py'.
(Changes in these parts require re-translating the pypy-c
you are using, whereas changes in 'pypy/lib/*' do not.)

A bientot,

Armin.