[pypy-dev] benchmarking input

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 09:48:26 CEST 2009

>> A number of benchmarks are not applicable to us, or they are
>> uninteresting at this point (e.g. pickling, regexp, or just
>> microbenchmarks...).
>
> Uninteresting for benchmarking the jit, but important for python users.

And benchmarking the jit is what we're actually doing.

>> That would leave 2 usable benchmarks, at a first glance: 'ai', and
>> possibly 'spitfire/slowspitfire'.
>
> The django one is also interesting.

This is rather dummy loop for template generation, rather than "django".
You can probably reduce it to something as advanced as dictionary
lookup + string concatenation in a loop.

>> (Btw, I wonder why they think that richards is "too artificial" when
>> they include a number of microbenchmarks that look far more artificial
>> to me...)
>
> I thought that too... maybe just adding richards is okay, they can
> discard the results if they want.

I think richards does not reflect what they do at google (like pickling :-)